Monday, February 13, 2012

A really moist meatloaf


When you hear the word, "meatloaf" what is the first thing that comes to mind?  (Be honest...) "Dry", "crusty", "not tasty.." does any of that ring a bell?  Many a person I have spoken to whenever I even mention the idea of making a meatloaf they always tell me how their mother's was very, very dry and just didn't leave a good taste in their mouths or their minds for that matter.

Now when I think of meatloaf, I think of, soft, juicy and even flavorful.  Why?  In part because I have come across this recipe~actually a concoction of mine that I think just might work to solve those dry meatloaf woes, if you will.  Let's start with 2 pounds of 80/20 ground beef.  To that add:

1/2 cup no-salt added tomato ketchup
1/2 cup spicy brown mustard
2 egg yolks
1/2 part-skim ricotta cheese (just trust me on this one)
1/4 breadcrumbs
1 cup dry rolled oats
your favorite seasonings (for me that would be salt, pepper, a little garlic
powder and maybe some italian seasoning)

Go ahead and mix all of this by hand in an un-greased 2quart oval baking dish.  Form it into a loaf and top it with a mixture of 1/8 cup sweet barbecue sauce & one 1/4 cup no salt added ketchup.  (The reason for the no-salt ketchup is because it seems to be a little "fresher" an adds more moisture to the dish ;-).  Pop it in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 30 mins.

Let it rest when it's done before slicing, so that it doesn't crumble when you do.  And there you have it..a very moist and delicious meatloaf.  What more could your family ask for?  :-)

As always...
Happy Baking!
-Chemeeka (Bakie :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment